This is an online Foundations of Immunisation training course with written assessment and various vaccine options. Importantly, it includes our Foundations of Immunisation course developed in line with the ‘National Minimum Standards and Core Curriculum for Immunisation Training for Registered Healthcare Practitioners‘ – PHE.
So who is it suitable for?
Above all, clinicians administering vaccines should undertake foundation immunisation training. This course is therefore suitable for Occupational Health Clinicians, Immunisation Nurses, Practice Nurses, Pharmacists and any Healthcare Professionals administering vaccines.
So what’s included in this foundations of immunisation online training course?
Firstly, this is an interactive, engaging, and comprehensive online course. We have therefore included all of the modules recommended in the National Minimum Standards for Immunisation Training (PHE) document.
Foundations of Immunisation Core Modules
- The aims of immunisation, national vaccine policy and schedules
- The immune response to vaccines and how vaccines work
- The different types of vaccines, their composition and the indications and contraindications
- Current issues in immunisation
- Any changes to vaccine recommendations or national policy
- Communicating with patients, parents and carers about vaccines
- Legal issues in immunisation
- Storage and handling of vaccines
- Correct administration of vaccines
- Documentation, record keeping and reporting
- Strategies for optimising immunisation uptake
Vaccine Preventable Disease Options (firstly browse the headings below then choose from the dropdown above)
UK Immunisation Schedule vaccines option:
- Includes Diphtheria, Haemophilus influenzae type b (Hib), Hepatitis B, Human papillomavirus – HPV (certain serotypes), Measles, Meningococcal disease (certain serogroups), Mumps, Pertussis (whooping cough), Pneumococcal disease (certain serotypes), Polio, Rotavirus, Rubella, Shingles, Tetanus
Flu vaccines option:
- Includes All flu vaccines available in the UK
- Introduction to Seasonal Influenza
- The nature of Flu
- The UK Annual Flu Programme 2021/22
- Simple summaries
Covid-19 vaccine option:
- Includes all Covid-19 vaccines available in the UK
- Introduction to COVID-19
- The nature of COVID-19
- The UK COVID-19 vaccination programme
School Health vaccines option:
- Includes Diphtheria, Human papillomavirus (HPV) (certain serotypes), Meningococcal disease (certain serogroups), Polio, Tetanus
NHS Travel vaccines option:
- Includes Cholera, Diphtheria, Hepatitis A, Hepatitis B, Polio, Tetanus, Typhoid
NHS & Private Travel vaccines option:
- Cholera, Diphtheria, Hepatitis A, Hepatitis B, Polio, Tetanus, Typhoid
- Hepatitis B, Japanese Encephalitis, Meningococcal disease (certain serogroups), Rabies, Tick-borne Encephalitis, Tuberculosis, Yellow Fever (Note that Yellow Fever vaccine can only be administered in a Registered Yellow Fever Centre)
- We have also included Anaphylaxis Management in this course.
- This foundations of immunisation training course is online therefore assessment is a written multiple choice assessment.
So what’s NOT included in this foundations of immunisation online training course?
This is not an introduction to travel health course therefore we recommend completing our comprehensive Fundamentals of Travel Health course if you are going to be delivering a travel health service. This is also in line with Good Practice Guidance for Providing a Travel Health Service (RGPSG, 2020).
Adult and paediatric Basic Life support are also available in separate courses.
Are there any other considerations with foundations of immunisation training?