This fully interactive and engaging online travel health course will provide any clinician new to the field a solid foundation to practice clinically, and for those that are experienced in this field already will provide a comprehensive update.
Who is it suitable for?
Due to the growing field of travel health, this course is suitable for practice nurses, travel health nurses, pharmacists, occupational health clinicians, GPs, and any other healthcare professionals wishing to deliver a travel health service.
So what’s included?
This is this an interactive and engaging online travel health training course. Due to the complicated nature of travel health we cover a large amount of subject matter. However, we have broken down the content into manageable chunks. You can also access the course in any order.
- Practical provisions of running a Travel Health Service
- Professional responsibilities for health professionals working in travel health
- How to complete a comprehensive Travel Health Risk Assessment
- Introduction to the ‘5T’s of Tropical Disease’ and the ‘Travel Vaccine Traffic Light’ tools.
- Choosing reliable data sources
- Vaccine preventable diseases – schedules and how to discuss with your traveller, including:
- Diphtheria, Hepatitis A, Hepatitis B, Japanese Encephalitis, Meningococcal Disease ACWY, Polio, Rabies, Tetanus, Tick-borne Encephalitis, Tuberculosis, Typhoid & Yellow Fever
- How to discuss prevention advice regarding:
- Travellers’ diarrhorea & food and water precautions
- vector-borne diseases
- diseases spread by human contact
- diseases and hazards in the environment
- Managing pre-existing conditions
- Special risk groups
- Malaria Risk Assessment and advice using the ABCD approach
Following many years of travel clinic and teaching experience, we have designed this course to help clinicians quickly get to grips with the fundamental components of Travel Health. We also offer a number of practical tips to managing travel clinic appointments.
We provide references and links to resources throughout the training to allow delegates to access original sources of information for further reading and to keep up to date after the course.
What’s not included?
Because this course is for travel health training it does not cover Foundations of Immunisation training, Seasonal Influenza, Covid-19, or other UK immunisation schedule vaccines. However, the relevant course packages or add-on courses can be purchased from Health Academy.
It is important for all clinicians who are new to Travel Health to undergo supervised practice in their workplace. We therefore direct you to the ‘Competency Assessment Tool for Travel Health Practitioners’ which can be found in the Travel Health Good Practice Guidelines (RCPSG) for more details.
Please also note that PHE recommend a period of supervised practice in addition to comprehensive training when the practitioner is new to immunisation. ‘National Minimum Standards and Core Curriculum for Immunisation Training for Registered Healthcare Practitioners (PHE)
CPD Hours – 12