This is Foundations of Immunisation training for HCSWs (Health Care Support Workers) online who are new to immunisation. It includes our Foundations of Immunisation course developed in line with the ‘National Minimum Standards and Core Curriculum for Immunisation Training for Registered Healthcare Practitioners‘ – PHE. Also included are individual modules for Shingles, Pneumococcal, and Vitamin B12 deficiency.
So who is it suitable for?
Above all, Health Care Support Workers administering vaccines should undertake foundation immunisation training. This course is therefore suitable for any Health Care Support Worker wishing to administering vaccines.
So what’s included in this foundations of Immunisation training for HCSWs online course?
Firstly, this is an interactive, engaging, and comprehensive online course. We have therefore included all of the modules recommended in the National Minimum Standards for Immunisation Training (PHE) document.
Foundations of Immunisation Core Modules
- The aims of immunisation, national vaccine policy and schedules
- The immune response to vaccines and how vaccines work
- The different types of vaccines, their composition and the indications and contraindications
- Current issues in immunisation
- Any changes to vaccine recommendations or national policy
- Communicating with patients, parents and carers about vaccines
- Legal issues in immunisation
- Storage and handling of vaccines
- Correct administration of vaccines
- Anaphylaxis and adverse reactions
- Documentation, record keeping and reporting
- Strategies for optimising immunisation uptake
- Shingles (Herpes zoster)
- Zostavax vaccine
- Shingrix vaccine
- Pneumococcal disease
- Previnar 13 vaccine
- Pneumococcal polysaccharide vaccine (PPV23)
- Vitamin B12 deficiency
- We have also included Anaphylaxis Management in this course.
Additional Vaccine Preventable Disease Options (firstly browse the headings below then choose from the dropdown above)
Flu vaccines option:
- Includes All flu vaccines available in the UK
- Introduction to Seasonal Influenza
- The nature of Flu
- The UK Annual Flu Programme
- Simple summaries
Covid-19 vaccine option:
- Includes all Covid-19 vaccines available in the UK
- Introduction to COVID-19
- The nature of COVID-19
- The UK COVID-19 vaccination programme
UK Immunisation Schedule vaccines:
- Includes Diphtheria, Haemophilus influenzae type b (Hib), Hepatitis B, Human papillomavirus – HPV (certain serotypes), Measles, Meningococcal disease (certain serogroups), Mumps, Pertussis (whooping cough), Pneumococcal disease (certain serotypes), Polio, Rotavirus, Rubella, Shingles, Tetanus
- This foundations of immunisation training course is online therefore assessment is a written multiple choice assessment.
Considerations with the video assessment option (select as an add on from the list).
Please also note that Public Health England recommend a period of supervised practice in addition to comprehensive foundations of immunisation training for new immunisers (PHE).
In addition, the video assessment option requires access to further equipment . Therefore see below for the equipment you will require.
So what’s NOT included in this foundations of Immunisation training for HCSWs online course?
This is not an introduction to travel health course therefore we recommend completing our comprehensive Fundamentals of Travel Health course if you are going to be delivering a travel health service. This is also in line with Good Practice Guidance for Providing a Travel Health Service (RGPSG, 2020).
Adult and paediatric Basic Life support are also available in separate courses.